Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Surprise....

A couple months ago, I noticed that there were Gulf Fritillary Caterpillars feeding on my Passion Vine. Apparently, they only feed on the Passion Vine and in time they will become a chrysalis. Lucky me! Three caterpillars became a chrysalis and I have been checking on them everyday to see their progression.

Today was an usually warm day for mid-January. This morning I went to check on my little friends and noticed that I could see the detailing of a wing through one of the chrysalis. I mentioned this to my BF and he assured me that they still had a long way to go as Spring is a couple months away.

I went about my day and returned to my backyard later in the afternoon only to find the very same chrysalis is now a BEAUTIFUL butterfly. I was stunned! This is January! It's still below 40 degrees at night. How on earth is this beautiful creation going to survive?!? Is this birth a sign of Global Warming? I am floored.

If you would like to see a larger photo of these beauties, just click on the image :)

Here is the beauty herself. Isn't she pretty?



The remaining two chrysalis.....


A Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar feeding on my Passion Vine....


Happy Weekend all!

1 comments:

MorelloFamilia said...

Absolutely stunning! You are so lucky to have a visitor like that in your backyard. I don't know much about that particular species, but I do know that it is mating season for many butterflies, especially monarchs. They begin their migration in late March. People often think seeing butterflies in the Spring means they just hatched, when in fact they have been around for months and starting to migrate to where they will drop off their eggs. I think your backyard friend is right on time. He/she wants to mate, baby. :)